Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Announcing a New Series After Meeting in Norway with Jazz Drummer Jon Christensen

It is perhaps fitting that my first post on this new blog would be in dedication to life and rhythm. Stravinsky and Emerson are quoted to underscore the central role that music, drums, jazz have all played in my own life.  

In that spirit then I would like to continue by documenting a most unusual, and rewarding, conversation I had four years ago with one jazz drummer, Norwegian Jon Christensen.  He has been described as: "A European institution of modern drumming, a master of music, probably the most influential musician of his generation.  A constant source of inspiration...One of the few remaining jazz musicians committed to the concept of the music as the 'sound of surprise'" (from ECM Records website).

In May of 2009, I had the opportunity to sit with Jon (he asked that I call him this) for a long and leisurely afternoon meal in Oslo, Norway.  Here (and in succeeding blogs) follow a few of the gems of that lovely afternoon...

“I’ve only ever played myself: Jon Christensen.”  He spoke on about the key importance of finding one's own voice, whether in music or in life.  Reminds me just now of Thoreau's famous, parallel reflection on "hearing a different drummer."

No comments:

Post a Comment